Tuesday, November 23, 2010

To take drugs, or not to take drugs....

As I start to run more, the possibility of injury or aches and pains looms.  No matter how careful you are, sometimes these thing can't be helped.  So what do you do when that happens?

Take an ibuprofen and ice the area?

That seems like fairly common knowledge.  Well yesterday, I read a great article that cast doubt on that.  In it, it mentions some preliminary studies that show that inflammation is a part of the process for the body to heal itself.  When we reduce the swelling through anti-inflammatory drugs or ice, according to this study, we risk proper recovery in the long term.

Crazy, isn't it?

Read up on it yourself: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/alex-hutchinson/take-a-pass-on-the-advil-swelling-may-help-you-heal/article1808598/

Now, I've never been a fan of taking any pills for pains, headaches or whatnots.  I've always thought that if it hurts, my body is probably trying to tell me something.  But that's just one way to deal with it.  What do you do when it really hurts and you need to get back to functioning?

No comments:

Post a Comment